Squash Blossom and Kohlrabi Pasta with Grilled Steak
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 12 squash blossoms
- 1/2 pound of thin steak (hanger, skirt)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- half a white onion, thinly sliced
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 2 medium kohlrabis, peeled, Blade C
- ½ pint cherry tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons grated parmigiano reggiano cheese
- Slice the bottoms of the squash blossoms and let the bud fall out. Discard the buds and bottoms and then set the squash blossoms aside.
- Brush steak with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and season very generously with pepper and some salt.
- Place a grill pan or skillet over medium-high heat and coat with cooking spray. Once heated, add in the steak and cook 3 minutes on each side and then set aside.
- Place a large skillet over medium heat and add in the other tablespoon of olive oil. Once the oil heats, add in the onions, red pepper flakes and garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes or until onions begin to soften. Then, add in the kohlrabi noodles, squash blossoms, tomatoes and season with salt and pepper. Toss the noodles and then cover, letting cook for 5-7 minutes, shaking the pan with the lid on, or until tomatoes burst.
- Uncover the skillet. Using a fork, crush about half of the tomatoes. Sprinkle in the parmigiano reggiano and toss to combine all of the flavors, letting the cheese melt into the noodles.